Perhaps you will have to modify some other stuff. I also tried to get the example app to work on Glassfish and had some trouble because one of the database columns is named “year” which is a reserved word in Derby. Another possible issue is that I’m using a Hibernate-specific property to enable automatic creation of the database schema. You will have to replace this with something for EclipseLink, which is the default JPA provider in Glassfish AFAIK.
I guess I should remove the database stuff from the example and create a dummy DAO that returns fixed entities instead. I’ll create a ticket for this.
I just found some time to fix this. If you get an updated version of the bookstore app from the repository, you should now be able to deploy it without any changes to Glassfish. The app now doesn’t use a database anymore. I hope this helps. 🙂